Terms & Conditions
St Matthias Halls is the trading name of CommunityCultureSpace Ltd (CCS) which is responsible for managing the spaces.
CCS will send full terms and conditions on request, or when negotiating a booking, and they must be agreed before an event is confirmed.
Our halls are available for hire from St Matthias Church and CommunityCultureSpace Ltd. We reserve the right to refuse any application.
- The maximum number of people permitted in St Matthias Hall is 100, in Dissenters gallery it’s 80.
- Setting up and cleaning MUST be INCLUDED within the time of your hire. All decorations, table coverings, additional items must be packed up ready to go when your hire ends.
- We will unlock the door for you, and lock up afterwards. You will be given a contact number to call if at any point you need to leave the hall. It must not be left unattended and unlocked.
- If you are late leaving, we reserve the right to charge additional fees at a rate of £120 per hour, or part thereof, plus any extra costs ie bar and door staff.
- All rubbish must be taken away after your event. If not, we will charge for removal.
- The spaces should be left clean and in good order with all tables and chairs returned to the correct storage place, and crockery/glasses etc washed.
- The spaces are not licensed for public performances, public dances, public discotheques or for the sale of alcohol.
- Alcohol consumption (except by prior arrangement) is not permitted anywhere on St Matthias Hall property or grounds.
- We operate zero tolerance to any type of illegal or illicit drugs on our sites. If anyone at your event is found to be in possession of any such Class A, B or C banned substances, the authorities will be notified. We reserve the right to halt any event where any banned substances are found and your booking fee and deposit will be forfeited, without prejudice.
Failure to comply with any of the conditions above may result in you losing some/all of your damage deposit.
- Drawing pins must not be used to affix anything to the walls or woodwork. Cautious use of blu-tac is acceptable.
- All damage and breakages must be reported to us and costs will be deducted from your damage deposit.
- You acknowledge that no tenancy is created between a) St Matthias Church and CommunityCultureSpace Ltd and b) the hirer, and that no relationship of landlord and tenant exists between them.
- Let us know if you would like to use the kitchen in advance so we can show you how to use the equipment.
- We have 110 chairs, 7 round and 6 rectangular tables which you may use.
- Staging can be hired from £100. Free use of wi-fi.
- No electrical appliance or outlet may be altered, modified or tampered with.
- Normal projection equipment and PA equipment may be used subject to prior written agreement ONLY and must have current PAT certification where appropriate. The sound level of music systems should be kept at 80db, so as not to disturb our neighbours or those using the Dissenters Gallery upstairs. The use of further electrical equipment needs permission in advance.
- Portable gas appliances or other equipment involving the use of a naked flame, such as food warmers, is NOT permitted.
- Other equipment, such as bouncy castles, staging and other apparatus may be used during your hire, with prior written consent. This at your own risk. We accept no responsibility for any damage, injury or death, howsoever caused.
- We accept no liability for any damage or loss to any person or personal possession, howsoever caused.
- St Matthias Church and CommunityCultureSpace Ltd regards the safe care and protection of children as of the utmost importance. Groups who hire/use our premises are expected to share this concern and make appropriate provision for the protection of children within their care. By signing this agreement, the hirer undertakes to meet this expectation.
- You shall not sub-let or use the premises for any unlawful purpose, or in any unlawful way, or do anything or bring on to the premises anything, which may endanger the premises, its users, or insurance policies.
- First Aid boxes and report books are located in the kitchen. You must inform us of any accident or injury and record it in the report book.
- Fire extinguishers are located along the wall of the hall and at the outside entrance. Make sure you’re familiar with Fire Regulations and appliances. The Fire Brigade should be called to ANY outbreak of fire and the incident reported to us. Highly flammable substances are not permitted in the Hall.
- It is against the law to smoke in the hall or anywhere on the property.
- After your event, all external doors and windows must be properly secured.
- During your hire, you are responsible for supervision and security of the premises, protection of the fabric and contents from damage and the behaviour of all persons, including supervision of car parking so as to avoid obstruction of the highway. You will ensure the respectful use of all St Matthias property (hall, church, vicarage) and adjacent public space.
- All evening parties require door security, which is reflected in the price.
- We are considerate to our neighbours and insist that children do not play in front of the halls, users should not congregate there or on the public footpath, and the outer door must remain closed.
- We are sorry but the garden at the back is not currently available due to ongoing treatment for Japanese Knotweed.
- Parking is on metered bays nearby.
Licenses and Insurance
- You will be responsible for obtaining any local authority or other licences necessary in connection with your booking.
- You will be responsible for the observance of all regulations affecting the premises imposed by Licensing Justices, the fire and local authority and must do nothing to contravene the laws of betting, gaming and lotteries.
- If selling goods on the premises, you must comply with all relevant fair-trading laws and any local code of practice in connection with such sales.
- You are responsible for purchasing your own Public Liability Insurance against third party claims, which may lay against the hirer or his/her organisation whilst using the premises. A copy of this insurance needs to be sent to us before your event. Neither St Matthias Church or CommunityCultureSpace Ltd accept any liability for any loss or damage howsoever caused.
- You will indemnify St Matthias Church and CommunityCultureSpace Ltd in respect of the cost of repair of any damage done to any part of the premises including the curtilage or the contents of the building during or as a result of a booking and in respect of any liability to third parties or otherwise arising out of the use of the premises pursuant to the booking.
Please note that failure to comply with these or any other conditions in this contract will result in part or all of your damage deposit being withheld.
- We require the hire fee paid in full to secure the date, upon booking. You must also pay a damage deposit at the same time, which is refundable immediately after the event – if everything is okay.
- We must see proof of your ID and address on booking.
- For large parties you are required to pay a £50 cleaning fee.
- If you need to cancel, tell us in writing ten days before the event and we will refund everything you have paid. Less than that and you forfeit the deposit.
Safeguarding at St Matthias
The halls are owned by St Matthias Church, and all bookings are conditional on complying with their policy for safeguarding children and young adults.
In particular, this means you are required to ensure that children, young people and vulnerable adults are protected at all times, by taking all reasonable steps to prevent injury, illness, loss or damage.
You will always have at least two supervisors over the age of 18 in any group of children and young people, no matter how small the group
No person under the age of 18 will be left in charge of any children or young people of any age.
No child or group of children or young people should be left unattended at any time.
You can view the whole policy at www.stmchurch.co.uk/safeguarding-policy-statement. The St Matthias Safeguarding Officer is Jan Lord – St Matthias Vicarage 020 7254 5063
On booking, you will need to sign that you agree to abide by appropriate safeguarding procedures. Your booking agreement may be terminated in the event of my failing to comply with these procedures.
Contact us at email@example.com
020 7923 2726
St Matthias Halls, Wordsworth Road, London, N16 8DD